In Episode 19, Quinn & Brian ask: What’s the future of antibiotics?
To answer: the irrepressible Dr. Gautam Dantas, the professor of pathology and immunology and biomedical engineering at the Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis. He leads the Dantas Lab, where they work at the interface of microbial genomics, ecology, synthetic biology, and systems biology, to understand, harness, and engineer the biochemical processing potential of microbial communities.
We have a lovely, not terrifying chat about designing new antibiotics in the post-antibiotic area. Topics covered include bacteria as the O.G., Thanos, precision medicine, cows, horror shows from the ancient past buried in ice cores, and your vote and where it should go.
- Dr. Gautam Dantas on Twitter
- Dantas Lab
- “Why Some Bacteria Eat Antibiotics”, NBC News
- “Antibiotic Resistance is Ancient”, Science Daily
- Trump’s Book Club: Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis
- Quinn Emmett on Twitter
- Brian Colbert Kennedy on Twitter
- Intro/outro by Tim Blane
- Subscribe to our newsletter at ImportantNotImportant.com!
- Like and share us on Facebook!
- Check us on Instagram!
- Follow us on Twitter!
- Pin us on Pinterest!
- Tumble us or whatever the hell you do on Tumblr!
- Ok that’s enough good lord